lundi 21 mars 2011
Quebecers
When I first came to Canada, I was just an ignorant French kid who thought Canada was just a gigantic country with snow and bears everywhere. Also, like most of my people, I believed that Quebecers spoke a ridiculous type of French and ought to be made fun of. During my first two years in Canada, I learnt that Canada was much more than just snow and bears but, being surrounded by anglophone Canadians, I stuck with my belief of the stupidity of the Quebec culture, like so many other French people who, althought are a great nation, have the ability to judge and think of themselves as better than cultures they know nothing about, which is quite stupid. On my third year in Canada on the other hand, I moved from Lord Byng Secondary school to l'Ecole Secondaire Jules Verne, in order to do the International Baccalaureate. That school was a French school, like so many others which are built all around Canada because of the pressure people who want the French language and culture to be preserved put on the government. In that school, I met Quebecers for the first time in my life and it turned out they were'nt bad at all. Sure, they spoke with a funny accent which was hard for me to understand at first, but most importantly, they are some of the friendliest people I have met in my life, and their funny accent gives them a predisposition to be people with a great sense of humour. In short, they are warm people in a cold country. Unfortunaly, I had to go back to leave Jules Verne and go back to Byng for my last year of high school because I thought the IB (International Baccalaureate, remember?) was too much work, but I still hang out with what I call, my francophone buddies and I will never forget that special year.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire