mercredi 20 avril 2011

Olympic Misadventure

During the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games, I was volunteering as a host in all three Whistler venues, and my job changed every day depending on what was to be done. That is how after checking tickets or journalist passes, greeting spectators and answering questions for tourists, I was assigned to checking the passes of all the people who entered the doping center after the bobsleigh race. Unfortunately for me, I did not find my job as exciting as an expert in sports would have because I did not know any athletes and I asked the athlete who had won the gold medal that night without knowing who he was. The other problem was that it was nighttime and very cold in Whistler and I was not too keen on waiting outside for hours for the athletes to come and get checked for steroids. Things got worse when one of the doctors arrived but only had one of the two passes required, which I told him very calmly. Unfortunately for me, the doctors only needed one pass and I was not the first volunteer to make the mistake, which made the doctor unleash all of his built-up anger on me. When I heard an accent in his voice, which I mistook for a French accent, I told him in French that I spoke his language. The problem was that the doctor was actually German and thought that I was forcing him to speak in French because it is the official language of the Olympic Games.
"No, no, he said in an angry tone, you have to talk to me in English!"
It was 10pm, dark, cold and I had been standing in the same spot for 2 hours as a volunteer, and I seriously considered punching the German in the head. Luckily, someone came at that moment from inside the doping center and took the German maniac away.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire